Which scooter should I buy? POSTED ON 01/07/2013
Need help choosing a scooter for your child? Want to know the difference between two wheels and three wheels? Don’t know your handlebar from your scooter deck?
Well, don’t panic. We are here to help (really). Follow our quick guide to make sure you are choosing the right scooter for your child.
For children aged 1-3
- For emerging walkers the Sit & Scoot 3in1 works as a ride on, a toddler scooter and finally a traditional scooter
- Great for emerging walkers as the seat provides stability and support
- Around the age of 2 most parents remove the seat and use the Sit & Scoot 3in1 as a “normal” scooter (although with the chunkier handlebar)
- Then at age 3 and as your child feels more confident on the scooter; replace the “toddler” handlebar with the traditional handlebar and away you go! You can use the scooter until your child is 5 years old
We think the Sit & Scoot 3in1 is perfect for children who have just started to take their first toddles. The scooter will help encourage their fine motor skills all while providing the stability they crave at this early stage. Because of the adaptability of the scooter you will never have to buy another ride-on type toy. For more information and to read independent reviews click here
For children aged 3-5
- A great first scooter for children the Mini Micro is perfect for children desperate to get scooting
- The three wheels provide balance which in turn helps to encourage coordination and fine motor skills.
- Consider this scooter instead of taking the buggy when out and about.
- It is lightweight meaning children can move it and lift it
- You can accessorise, repair and revamp the scooter so your child will never be bored of it (as if!)
Consider the Mini Micro scooter if you are looking for a long lasting, stable and secure scooter for your 3-5 year old who is new to scooting. It is a great replacement for the buggy and is a fun way to get from A-B. But don’t take our word for it. Read what other parents said about it here
For children aged 6-12
- Consider for children who are new to scooting as the Maxi Micro has 3 wheels for stability
- It also has an extendable handlebar – meaning your child will never grow too tall for the scooter.
- The deck (the bit where children put their feet) is solid, secure and specifically designed to withstand all that children can throw at it.
- The scooters can be maintained and revamped.
Choose this scooter if you are looking for a value for money solution. The Maxi Micro will last you and your child for many years. Best for children who prefer the stability of three wheels. For more experienced riders consider the Maxi Micro Joystick which provides the same 3 wheels but with an extra more exciting steering mechanism
For children aged 5-12 years
The Micro Sprite scooter. Consider if:
- Your child prefers or is used to turning the handlebars on their scooter or bicycle.
- The Micro Sprite range of scooters all steer in this way (as opposed to a child shifting their body weight to steer as is the case with the MIni and Maxi Micro scooters) The Micro Sprite scooter is perfect for your child if this is the case.
- There is no real difference between 2 and 3 wheels scooters apart from the way they steer. And that is a matter of taste. If you child has previously scooted on a Mini scooter then moving them up to the Maxi Micro scooter is probably the best option.
- If however, your child is new to scooting or a bike aficionado then a two wheeled Micro Sprite scooter will be familiar to them in terms of steering style.
- The Micro Sprite is in our opinion the very best two wheeled starter scooter. See the full range of Micro Sprite scooters.
We hope our quick buyers guide has helped. But if you do need any more information please do get in touch either by;
- calling us on 0333 320 1030.
- emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- saying hi on facebook
- tweeting (or as my mother says “twatting” us)
- you could even go very 1994 and write to us at Micro Scooters, 110 Coast Road, West Mersea, Essex C05 8NA – we never get letters any more.
Now. Go forth and shop for your scooter – we promise you won’t regret it.